Skip to main content

Connecting Discipline to Jamie Hood


Everyone has their opinion on how one should discipline children. It does not matter the age of the child an opinion is always in the forefront. Unfortunately and I guess fortunately, random people are more than willing to offer up a suggestion on methods of disciplining children. With frustration I have to admit that the unfortunate is when people issue the recommendations at the most inopportune times. Like at the grocery store while your two and half year old is reaching for and grabbing everything in sight.


“You need to beat him.”

Really? Did she say that to me? What…? I must be hearing things. No…I heard a woman from my mother’s generation correctly. Evidently, I was not addressing the curiosity of my two year old adequately.

Perhaps the fortunate element of the randomness of people’s opinion is a sign of the African Village Concept at work: Help one teach one. Without success and coupled with minor rudeness, that was the woman in the grocery store effort. The seasoned ‘villager’ was doing her part at one of my favorite places to sample various fruits, breads, cheese, and wines - without buying anything - Whole Foods. The perfect setting for village life outside of an African or Caribbean open market.

Parenting is an art, and I have concluded that many parents including myself were/are certainly not artist. We are duplications of our non-artistic parents. Obviously, parents of my mother’s generation may have unintentionally neglected to master parenting. Or, maybe they did and we, The Know it All Generation, failed to retain the morals and values our moms and pops instilled. Surprisingly, we -Generation X - continue to boastfully say, “My momma did it this way. It worked for me.” Usually, the ‘it’ is synonymous with a BEATING. Back in the 70’s and 80’s BEATINGS were extremely popular – and acceptable to initiate by strangers e.g. principals, teachers, and the drunk neighbor.

While watching a dynamic display of amateur athletic prowess and a good ole fashion ass whipping last Friday night the local television news station decided to split my tube television screen. One small box was a March Madness Sweet 16 match-up. A terrific display of well coached discipline! And, the other slightly larger box was live footage of a DMX-looking man with a Ladies Love Me six pack; accompanied by non-distraught and well-disciplined for the moment hostages walking out what looked to be a housing authority apartment with their hands in the air.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/184932/40/Behind-the-Surrender-of-Jamie-Hood 


The man every police officer in northern Georgia was looking for finally surrendered. Jamie Hood decided to do what was best before he was hunted down successfully. That hope for preferable success - in my and certainly in the minds of the cops was Hebrew bible retaliation, a life for a life. Consequently, it would not have bothered me in the slightest if Hood was shot and killed by a SWAT sharpshooter. I probably would have applauded the deputized overseers for using Hood’s center mass as target practice!

Later that night after watching ten disciplined and profitable black men try to put a ball in a hoop, I watched the Jamie Hood surrender footage again and again, then I asked myself: ‘I wonder if Jamie’s toothless mother BEAT him when he was a rambunctious two year old?’ The comment issued to me in Whole Foods came back to me too: “You need to beat him.” Then it hit me like a ton of bricks…AGAIN!

Beatings, whippings, whatever we call them these days are not a deterrent. Beatings utilized as discipline will not prevent a creation like Jamie Hood. I am willing to wager my unemployment direct deposit that Jamie’s mother whipped his behind when he was a child. I am confident in that because MOST black people I know acknowledge that they BEAT their children. It is like a badge of honor. Ask a random black person if they beat their children – and watch the zeal in their eyes. I have seen this prideful intensity - as if their justification for BEATING their children is to prevent negative behavior. As if BEATINGS have been a successful remedy for the prevalent black male sociopathic behavior.

I can assure with an accurate zealous demeanor:

BEATING black boys with the hopes of keeping them from turning out like Jamie Hood is not working. Prisons are full of black men who got BEATINGS.

“I beat my children so they won’t end up in prison.” How I have with repugnance heard that recycled manure!

It is obvious to me that those who beat their children –and I don’t care if you are white, black, or brown- may not have the right approach when it comes to discipline. I have singled out black people in this written expression because it is also apparent to me that black people who beat their children may want to reevaluate their slave-learned brutality disguised as discipline.

The Black Rebel will not BEAT his inquisitive two and half year old. He plans to utilize the ridiculed by most black people European approach: Time outs - and institute a useful tactic that anyone can learn from African folklore: Corrective communication seasoned with cultural empowerment. By the way, black people always pose as experts on

 – but yet black people lead the way in committing violent crimes against each other…

The Black Rebel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Leader Rift

Egos are deadly. Toxic. Destructive. Al has a big one and Tavis has a gigantic one! Both men are good at what they do. Al is the last of the Frontline Go Getters and Tavis is still evolving. Tavis actually despite popular opinion has worked hard to help black people get to where they need to be: Over the Hump. His State of the Black Union ran its course thus the reason he “abandoned” it. I don’t too much plan him. He did his part. He re-started the dialogue. Challenged us to address our self-induced problems and encouraged us to defeat the American system-generated barriers. Al speaks the conscious of countless blacks. He is relentless in his efforts. Tough in his approach – more than likely not ‘bought’. Owned by an unseen force. He is criticized by many – but no one can take away from what he has done and doing. Unfortunately, both black men are now doing what The Powers can appreciate: Division Sadly, the beef is really over differences of opinion pertaining to President Barack Obam
Derrion Albert’s life was brutally taken by the brutality that lives in the depths of the black community – but ultimately he is the latest Sacrificial Lamb offered up for no reason at all. The Beating http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#33063688 http://news.aol.com/article/derrion-alberts-beating-death-captured/690024?icid=mainmaindl1link1http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fderrion-alberts-beating-death-captured%2F690024 Open Letter from NAS http://globalgrind.com/content/1020340/Open-Letter-To-Young-Warriors-In-Chicago/ The Black Rebel's Say I began to formulate my thoughts yesterday after seeing the disturbing video. Video images that honestly forced me to think: ‘What are these savages thinking/doing?’ I referred to the black boys featured in the video as what I think of when thinking about untrained, short-fused, uncontrollable mammals: SAVAGES . I later scrolled down the AOL web page to read the comments. Not surprisingly, I was able to determine which responses were poste

Refusing so that Others May Have

You may have read the story or someone may have told you about a generous man who randomly gave several janitors $100. Mystery Man Gives $100 Bills to Janitors When I overheard this story in the background while cooking some Spam and eggs I smiled. I could believe it because their are still people out there who care about their fellow man/woman and who are serious about honoring those we may fail to acknowledge during our busy days of working for someone else. They ( The Compssioniate Givers ) may be limited in number according to news reports/bloggers - but we are aware people can be moved to do good/sacrifice. And, bad...of course. Nonetheless, I have a question for you this week. Would you take a pay cut or refuse a promotion to save fellow employees' jobs? (What would be your sincere motivation?) Are you willing? -The Black Rebel