Skip to main content

Royalty is not Cultured

Culture is the character of a people’s identity, the good and the bad. Culture at its root –at its alpha- is unblemished…but over time it can be seasoned with moral corruption, irresponsibility and superciliousness. In most cases the true essence of a people’s culture is beyond reproach. That’s if it is not tainted with brutal imperialism and outlandish liberalism.

Culture is solidified…permanently footprint-ed in the universe leaving humans with brilliance, integrity, sophistication, and unfortunately with inflated egos and even horrible memories of human hatred i.e. Pacific Islanders were slaughtered by Christian missionaries. Therefore, culture should never drift, die or create a new identity. Culture will remain…with and without its orchestrators when this temporary existence that we refer to as Life implodes.

Early this week an associate and I were discussing The Royal Wedding. He let me know with high intensity that I was being shallow when I stated,

“I am not interested in The Royal Wedding. I can care less about British royalty. And, no, I do not plan to watch any footage pertaining to the wedding – and I definitely will not be up at 4AM viewing the ceremony. I don’t identify with that culture...No...it is NOT culture; I meant to type: that way of life.”


Should have kept that to myself considering this associate of mine got offended. I was stunned by his immediate defense of an event that will be a brief moment in history’s evolvement. He was bent out of shape like someone who is British would be…possibly. He was stuck in that moment of the conversation while I was onto talk about the ongoing saga in Ivory Coast. He later abruptly ended the call with “I can’t hear you. You are breaking up.” – but before he got off the phone he asked,

“Muata, what is THAT you’re listening to?”

He made such an ass of himself when he let his mind form that question. I with PRIDE provided some education:

“That? That is music…PAUSE… It is Afro Zouk. Its origins are based in Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Lucia, and Dominica.”

Surprisingly, he was clueless. I found that to be perplexing considering he coins himself as ‘cultured’. But yet, he blasted me on my lack of interest in British culture and nonchalant attitude toward The Royal Wedding. Never acknowledging that the United States’ primary and secondary school educational system requires its citizens to study and memorize British historical timelines and British monarchs. So…I am well aware of Britain’s influence. And, I am also well aware of Britain’s role in the Transatlantic Slave Trade…

In my lifetime, I have been regrettably amazed by the unrelenting interest African Americans have in meaningless Western holidays (most recently the celebration of a man dying then coming back to life), the embarrassing level of ignorance regarding African, Caribbean, and African American history (Eugenia Charles was one of the first women to lead a country), and the blatant denial of any culture that’s connected to Afrocentric heritage (some black parents will not allow their children to watch Roots).
African Americans will celebrate Cinco de Mayo – but refuse to acknowledge the Ghanaian Independence Day. We will drink green beer in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day – but refuse to sample Zambezi (beer from Zimbabwe). We will with pride pledge a blind allegiance to the United States, but refuse to identify with the Negro National Anthem. We will claim Olive Garden’s Italian food is our favorite, but refuse to sample Kuku Wa Kupaka (Tanzanian Chicken in Coconut Sauce). We will freely call each nigger, but refuse to greet each other with Hotep (a positive salutation). We will spend countless hours viewing with anticipation the media hype of The Royal Wedding, but refuse to spend a little time researching African Royalty and the significance of it.

So, I will not watch any form of Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton’s nuptials. Nothing against them. They are a beautiful looking couple. I, on the other hand, in rebellious protest, have plans to rise at 4AM Friday morning - and honor myself and my culture by working out like John Ekiru Kelai, Kenyan marathon runner and meditating on the music of Peter Tosh,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SN7Pko_jCM&feature=related

You should join me in rebellion and in allegiance to where culture in many ways –despite the forced and permitted rape -is still on a grassroots level authentic, wholesome, humble, spiritual, and in NO need of fanfare:
Enjoy the sounds of Oliver N’Goma (Afro Zouk artist). It was his music that was playing in the background when my ‘cultured’ associate was reminding me that he and several other black people of American decent; and Caucasians are bought, sold, and are significantly void of culture.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9d-oI5I5E

The Black Rebel

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Leader Rift

Egos are deadly. Toxic. Destructive. Al has a big one and Tavis has a gigantic one! Both men are good at what they do. Al is the last of the Frontline Go Getters and Tavis is still evolving. Tavis actually despite popular opinion has worked hard to help black people get to where they need to be: Over the Hump. His State of the Black Union ran its course thus the reason he “abandoned” it. I don’t too much plan him. He did his part. He re-started the dialogue. Challenged us to address our self-induced problems and encouraged us to defeat the American system-generated barriers. Al speaks the conscious of countless blacks. He is relentless in his efforts. Tough in his approach – more than likely not ‘bought’. Owned by an unseen force. He is criticized by many – but no one can take away from what he has done and doing. Unfortunately, both black men are now doing what The Powers can appreciate: Division Sadly, the beef is really over differences of opinion pertaining to President Barack Obam
Derrion Albert’s life was brutally taken by the brutality that lives in the depths of the black community – but ultimately he is the latest Sacrificial Lamb offered up for no reason at all. The Beating http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#33063688 http://news.aol.com/article/derrion-alberts-beating-death-captured/690024?icid=mainmaindl1link1http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fderrion-alberts-beating-death-captured%2F690024 Open Letter from NAS http://globalgrind.com/content/1020340/Open-Letter-To-Young-Warriors-In-Chicago/ The Black Rebel's Say I began to formulate my thoughts yesterday after seeing the disturbing video. Video images that honestly forced me to think: ‘What are these savages thinking/doing?’ I referred to the black boys featured in the video as what I think of when thinking about untrained, short-fused, uncontrollable mammals: SAVAGES . I later scrolled down the AOL web page to read the comments. Not surprisingly, I was able to determine which responses were poste

Refusing so that Others May Have

You may have read the story or someone may have told you about a generous man who randomly gave several janitors $100. Mystery Man Gives $100 Bills to Janitors When I overheard this story in the background while cooking some Spam and eggs I smiled. I could believe it because their are still people out there who care about their fellow man/woman and who are serious about honoring those we may fail to acknowledge during our busy days of working for someone else. They ( The Compssioniate Givers ) may be limited in number according to news reports/bloggers - but we are aware people can be moved to do good/sacrifice. And, bad...of course. Nonetheless, I have a question for you this week. Would you take a pay cut or refuse a promotion to save fellow employees' jobs? (What would be your sincere motivation?) Are you willing? -The Black Rebel