Skip to main content
Unfulfilled Sacrifice

Last year on December 31 I made a promise to sacrifice more in 2009. I started the commitment by pledging to institute a monthly sacrifice. Whatever I decided to ‘go without or literally prevent myself from craving’ it had to be rebellious in nature. Meaning the sacrifice had to be boldly deviant.
January was my cautious initiation so I decided to stand in solidarity with a forgotten people. At the time the Israeli government was brutally strong-arming the Palestinians. Typical behavior from the brute of the Middle East and definitely quintessential for the United States government to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Israelis.

Here is a brief description of my February deviance:

I limited my food purchases to the grocery store. Vowing to spend only $120 for the entire month. By mid-month I had spent $118. Since I depleted my food funding prior to the 28th, I ate small compartmentalized suppers that were given to me from a friend whose mother received an influx of Meals on Wheels frozen dinners.

I must say that February was much more difficult for me than not talking for 12 hours.

March came and went. April flew by. May, June and July did not exist.

You have any idea where I am going with this? Well, my sacrifices became irrelevant/non-existent. Like many of us I eluded my commitment. But, in my limited defense I did spend 2009 trying my best to give more – and I did: monetary donations, volunteered, provided manual labor for free, and a few other ‘pay it forwards’. After my failure to be strictly bold in my sacrifices I decided to be unrelenting with my personal writing disclosures. So much so I unintentionally offended a life long friend with this effort. An effort I would passionately do again if I needed to…because at that literary moment I was representing truth – not malice. However, next time I will certainly use more discretion for the sake of those who did not ‘disown’ me!

Unmatched Sacrifice

There was nothing I did this year that compares to the man featured below. Not only was his sacrifice remarkable it displays selflessness and a courageous love. A love that humans rarely share with one another. A love that would surely change the landscape of the world.
I honor this man. I praise him. I hope one day I will be brave as him…before I terminate.
We are running out of time, People!

“Sacrificing your happiness for the happiness of the one you love is by far, the truest type of love.”

The Black Rebel sharing. Hoping you will read, reflect, and reveal.

Comments

  1. Reader Response:

    Nice, enjoyed reading this one. And I'm at a point where I'd really like to look at my own willingness to sacrifice, not sure if it's monetary, spiritually, physically or what, but definitely feeling the desire to explore my cravings, and also fill my heart in a meaningful way. Thanks for the inspiration.

    And I'm sorry to hear that you lost a friend by speaking your truth. I know you can make me see red at times, and there are moments, albeit brief, that I want you to go away and shut your pie-hole (lol) but I do think our world is a better place with you and your voice in it.

    Happy New Year my friend....

    -SN

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Black Rebel Responds to SN:

    I am glad my expression was able to assist with providing some encouragement. Although, I am certain you have organized your present work to be 'giving'.

    We all can give back more.

    Stay, Nanna.

    Oh!...I have pissed quite a few people off with my thoughts. But, I never try to do that intentionally with malice.

    I am thankful most folk have stayed with me. My writing is my way of contributing to the 'thought landscape' of America.

    Happy Old Year!

    -The Black Rebel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reader Response:

    i just love your spirit and your BRAIN! gotta hit the streets, so i have to read this later but the intro was interesting, as they often are. hmmm--why don't you clone yourself. multyiply by around 25, and send your disciples out. the world is waiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Black Rebel Responds Anonymous:

    THANKS! I appreciate you staying with me for so long. I can be quite over the top - but I am only sharing to help me and all of us dig. Dig deep. Happiness is subjective for us humans. However, I am convinced being happy is where we should be with this life!

    -The Black Rebel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reader Response:

    Thanks for sharing. Very touching.

    -SD

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Black Rebel Responds:

    Thanks, SD. Glad someone else was touched by this post.

    -The Black Rebel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Leader Rift

Egos are deadly. Toxic. Destructive. Al has a big one and Tavis has a gigantic one! Both men are good at what they do. Al is the last of the Frontline Go Getters and Tavis is still evolving. Tavis actually despite popular opinion has worked hard to help black people get to where they need to be: Over the Hump. His State of the Black Union ran its course thus the reason he “abandoned” it. I don’t too much plan him. He did his part. He re-started the dialogue. Challenged us to address our self-induced problems and encouraged us to defeat the American system-generated barriers. Al speaks the conscious of countless blacks. He is relentless in his efforts. Tough in his approach – more than likely not ‘bought’. Owned by an unseen force. He is criticized by many – but no one can take away from what he has done and doing. Unfortunately, both black men are now doing what The Powers can appreciate: Division Sadly, the beef is really over differences of opinion pertaining to President Barack Obam
Derrion Albert’s life was brutally taken by the brutality that lives in the depths of the black community – but ultimately he is the latest Sacrificial Lamb offered up for no reason at all. The Beating http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#33063688 http://news.aol.com/article/derrion-alberts-beating-death-captured/690024?icid=mainmaindl1link1http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fderrion-alberts-beating-death-captured%2F690024 Open Letter from NAS http://globalgrind.com/content/1020340/Open-Letter-To-Young-Warriors-In-Chicago/ The Black Rebel's Say I began to formulate my thoughts yesterday after seeing the disturbing video. Video images that honestly forced me to think: ‘What are these savages thinking/doing?’ I referred to the black boys featured in the video as what I think of when thinking about untrained, short-fused, uncontrollable mammals: SAVAGES . I later scrolled down the AOL web page to read the comments. Not surprisingly, I was able to determine which responses were poste

Refusing so that Others May Have

You may have read the story or someone may have told you about a generous man who randomly gave several janitors $100. Mystery Man Gives $100 Bills to Janitors When I overheard this story in the background while cooking some Spam and eggs I smiled. I could believe it because their are still people out there who care about their fellow man/woman and who are serious about honoring those we may fail to acknowledge during our busy days of working for someone else. They ( The Compssioniate Givers ) may be limited in number according to news reports/bloggers - but we are aware people can be moved to do good/sacrifice. And, bad...of course. Nonetheless, I have a question for you this week. Would you take a pay cut or refuse a promotion to save fellow employees' jobs? (What would be your sincere motivation?) Are you willing? -The Black Rebel